Sunday, June 1, 2008

Which is your favourite Keira Knightley film and why?

Pride & Prejudice may not have been all that original or one of a kind but the beautiful fragility of each scene, the fabrics of the 19th century, the score that inspired wonder in the simple life, the frivolity and humour of each character and Keira Knightley's portrayal of the intelligent and lively Elizabeth Bennet easily persuaded me to pick up Jane Austen's classic paperback version (which, if you knew me, would be extremely out of character). Who said it was mandatory to read the book before seeing the movie? Keira Knightley's film splashed colour onto an otherwise dull and exhausting book for a modern, barely Gen-Y, material girl who previously could not see why the older women of her generation swooned over Mr Darcy with those sideburns. Pride and Prejudice has not only prompted the expansion of my literary horizons and my growing familiarity with a British TV network known as the BBC but has also sprouted my appreciation for all things before my time. All of this which, I hope, will mould me into a fine young woman, much like Keira Knightley's Elizabeth Bennet, who in time may find her own Mr Darcy. Yes, Pride and Prejudice has to be my favourite Keira Knightley film.

No comments: